David Hector, 36, has been in prison for the last ten months, charged with being a member of a gang responsible for the murder of Senior Counsel Dana Seetahal on May 4, 2014.
While 11 men were charged with Seetahal’s murder, 14 were charged with being members of a gang which murdered the special State prosecutor.
Hector was never charged with the murder.
On Friday, the Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP) dropped the gang related charges against the 14 persons, including Hector.
But Hector was the only one to be discharged as the others have cases pending including murdering Seetahal.
After police authorities verified that Hector had no other pending charges, he was released from the Port-of-Spain Magistrates Court around 5 pm on Friday.
Attorney Criston Williams, who represented Hector, had filed an application challenging how the gang-related charges were laid against the 14 defendants.
The DPP attempted to amend the charges, but this was rejected by Magistrate Indrani Cedeno, who ruled that it would be prejudicial to amend the charges against the defendants.
In a ruling lasting an hour, Cedeno also called for amendments to the Anti-Gang Act.
The preliminary inquiry into the murder has not yet started.
Seetahal, 59, was shot dead while driving along Hamilton Holder Street, Woodbrook. She had just left the Ma Pau Casino and was heading to her One Woodbrook home when she was ambushed and shot several times.
It took the police 14 months to lay charges against the defendants.
Those charged with murdering Seetahal and with gang offences:
1. Rajaee Ali, 30, of Rose Drive, Carapo.
2. Devaughn Cummings, 30, of Poui Lane, Malabar, Arima.
3. Ishmael Ali, 31, of Pinewood Drive, Carapo, Arima (brother of Rajaee Ali).
4. Ricardo Stewart, 31, of Rose Drive, Carapo, Arima.
5. Earl Richards, 49, of Waterhole, Cocorite.
6. Stephan Cummings, 34, of Rose Drive, Carapo.
7. Gareth Wiseman, 34, of Caledonia Road, Lange Park, Chaguanas.
8. Hamid Ali, 35, of Melodians Crescent, Malabar, Arima, (brother of Rajaee Ali).
9. Kevin Parkinson, 29, of Waterhole, Cocorite.
10. Leston Gonzales, 29, of Malabar, Arima.
11. Roget Boucher, 30, of Rose Drive, Carapo.
Those charged with only gang offences:
1. Stacy Griffith, 30, of Malabar, Arima (wife of Rajaee Ali).
2. Deon Peters, 36, from Malabar and Carapo, Arima.
3. David Hector, 36, of Bon Air Gardens, Arouca.